Technical Tank Assessment Review
CEDARVILLE Engineering Group, LLC (CEG) provided review of structural tank calculations for the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. To date, CEG has performed review 5 tank certification reports for adequacy and completeness. CEG has performed the review of documents provided by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC)
CEG performed a general review of seismic evaluation calculations submitted as part of PE Assessment and Certification reports submitted to the Cal/EPA DTSC for for tanks associated with the Industrial Waste Treatment Plant and Oily Waste Treatment Plant at Naval Air Station North Island, Coronado Island, San Diego (NAS North Island).
Under California Code of Regulations Title 22, Chapter 14, §66264.191. Assessment of Existing Tank System's Integrity, the tanks are required to be evaluated for compliance with seismic design requirements for seismic zone 4. Permittees are required to submit design structural calculations for review in order to confirm tanks have been designed to resist the correct seismic forces, wind loads, etc. and confirm that there are no errors in the structural calculations.
CEG staff performed a review of the structural and seismic loading calculations reported for five (5) tanks at NAS North Island. Load calculations, structural analysis, and design checks were performed to provide an engineering opinion of calculations performed to date, completeness of the provided calculation package, and to provide comments based on the review of the referenced tank submittal. CEG found that seismic loading has been calculated correctly and used appropriate methods for the geographical region. Tank shell analysis and design checks indicate that structural analysis, calculation of internal forces, and capacity checks have been calculated correctly. Tank anchorage and foundation design checks were also found to have been calculated correctly.
Scope of the PE Assessment and Certification review covered Tank Nos. IA and 1B at NAS North Island.
References used for the determinations included:
- ASCE. 2016. Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures. ASCE/SEI Standard 7-16.
- ACI (American Concrete Institute). 2014. Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary. ACI 318-14
- ICC (International Code Council). 2016. California Building Code, Title 24. 2016 CBC. ICC: Country Club Hills, IL
- ASCE. 2010. Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures. ASCE/SEI Standard 7-1
- API 650 – Welded Steel Tanks for Oil Storage
- ASTM D3299 – Standard Specification for Filament-Wound Glass Fiber Reinforced Thermoset Resin Corrosion Resistant Tanks
- RTP-1 – 2017 – Reinforced Thermoset Plastic Corrosion-Resistant Equipment
- Technical Tank Assessment
What can we do for you?
Address: CEDARVILLE Engineering Group, LLC 159 E. High Street, Suite 500 Pottstown, PA 19464 Phone: 610-705-4500 Fax: 610-705-4900 email@example.com